It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, September 9, 2022

That Didn’t Go Well.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

As I mentioned in yesterday’s Blog there are a lot of jobs at the Plant that have not met their delivery dates so I figured that if I could help catch up the welding it might help. Going in an Hour early may not sound like much but you’d be surprised what can be done in that short a time.

The Ten Inch Diameter Feedscrew that I welded the Flights on yesterday had been put in the Sandbox to help keep it warm longer thus avoiding Cracks. This morning after cleaning all the Sand and Dust off it was again remounted in the Plasma Transfer Arc Welder and reheated so the Bearing Surface could be built up. Even though yesterday’s heat was still being emitted from the Screw it needed to be hotter.

I surprised myself at how easily I could control the PTA as a welder who has always had control of those things in my hands. The width of these Bearing Faces is Ten Inches Wide plus a Lead-In so that meant laying Twenty Beads of Hard Powdered Weld and stopping after each pair to add more Heat.

I also mentioned yesterday that most times it is easier to work through your lunch so you can leave at the end of the shift. I was down to the last Two Beads and Lead-In but when I hit the Start Weld Button the Feedscrew started rotating the wrong way. No matter what I did it just would not reverse itself. Gabriel saw what was happening but had no clue. I had lost too much heat and had to turn the Burner back on. Even though Alec had taught others how to use this machine they no longer work for Windsor Feedscrew.

When I attempted a second shot the same thing happen but then I remembered something Alec had said. “If you can’t clear a Fault shut the Machine completely then turn it back on.” It worked but now it was past 3:30 and it takes Twenty-Two Minutes for each Bead. It was past 5:00 by the time this Feedscrew was again buried in the Sand and I punched out.

I had called Kathy to let her know of the delay and when I was finally on my way. As soon as I washed my hands in the Apartment I warmed the Leftover Stir-Fry to make Veggie Wraps while Kathy warmed some Chicken Wings as a side and served a slice of Pecan Pie for dessert. Even though I had kept well Hydrated my thirst was insatiable this evening.

As I remember hearing many years ago “Thank God It’s Friday” so I can recover and enjoy the weekend with Kathy.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

Words of Inspiration

Tell me and I may forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I will learn.

Benjamin Franklin writer, scientist, inventor and statesman.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you have told us before and I missed it but what are feedscrews used for?

    I hope you and Kathy have an enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It sounds like that machine has a computer involved. Or any other digital critter. Shut it off, wait a while, and start over. Amazing how often that works, and aren't we glad.

    ReplyDelete