It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Overtime Explanation, More Oops and Stir-Fry Spaghettini.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

A little clarification about the Overtime I mentioned yesterday. Some small shops like Windsor Feedscrews and all Unionized Shops acknowledge anything over an Eight Hour Day as Overtime however many others don’t. Those that don’t have to follow the Ontario Labour Laws dictating that after a person has worked a minimum of Forty-Four Hours in a single Week they are then required to pay an Overtime Rate of One and a Half Times the normal Wage. That was what my last Employer followed.

By the way there is a Job Ad for a Welder Fitter at his shop. I’ve heard from Ivan that he has gone through Eight Welders since I left Seven Months ago.

I already knew what I would be working on before I arrived at the Plant today. The Feedscrew that the PTA gave me such a hard time to weld yesterday still needed more work. Due to the size of the Nozzle on the Plasma Transfer Arc Torch it was impossible to weld the Shank close to the Bearing Surface. So with Mile’s blessing I took it from the Sandbox to the Inspection Table. With the Portable Welding Screen in place I would spend the next Two Hours completing the necessary weld.

There was another Feedscrew on the Table that needed my attention and it could have been done in a Half Hour then sent to the Buffer. From there it would be shipped to the customer but there was another job that management thought was more pressing.

I spent the next Seven Hours welding the chipped edges on the entire Flight. That meant laying a wire sized spiralling bead that totalled about Thirty Feet long so it could be repaired. The cause of the was the Hardened Weld that is applied to the Feedscrew on the PTA. Since the Flight Size and Angle changes a simple way to be certain the area is covered is to let the weld bleed slightly over the edge. Then when it goes to the Mill to be shaped the Tooling cannot cut through the Hardened Material but chips it off the edges of the Flights instead. There’s something I’ll experiment with while Alec is away.

Kathy was surprised but pleased when I called at lunchtime.

Before I left for the day I was shown another Oops made by the Undertrained Machinist running the Mill. They cut a step on the edge of the Bearing Surface. Apparently the TIG has been used more since my arrival a Month ago than it has been in the last Five Years.

With the gauge showing the Truck had just under a Quarter Tank of fuel I stopped on the way home. It’s a good thing I have a paying Job. With the reduced prices it still cost me $211.01 to fill up the main tank.

After a calling Bell Mobility to cancel the Third Cell Number I set about making supper. Using Three Sauce Pans I had just enough Spaghettini for one cooking. Spaghetti Sauce warming in another and Leftover Stir-Fry Veggies warming in the Third. Shared with a bit of Parmesan Cheese on top it was just the perfect sized meal. We were both Satisfied but not Stuffed.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

Words of Inspiration

All we have is today. Just live it. We don’t know about tomorrow. So enjoy the day. Love yourself and spread love around.

Charlotte Rae, actress, comedienne, and singer

3 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up with your blog. Congratulations on the job, looks like a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I not surprised that your former employer has already gone through eight welders since you left...he is probably going to go through many more...Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have found a very interesting and challenging job. Going way back, wasn't your trailer heading somewhere for some repairs, pre-covid, or am I just dreaming?
    Any idea for future travel? Say hi to Kathy!

    ReplyDelete