It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, February 11, 2022

It Happened Today.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

As soon as the shift started I went straight to the Cargo Van. I was already busy tearing up the floor when Paul came around yelling that I was taking too long. Even though I pointed out the Hundreds of Screws holding it to the few cross members remaining he didn’t care. The smell of Booze on his breathe was very evident at that early hour.

I had over half the floor removed and was about to just lay a new cross member across the Truck Frame as Safety when Paul came back screaming again. He would not listen to what I was saying about Safety. Then he said “You just don’t want to do this job.” My response was “I will do the job Safely even though I don’t want to do it.” I was told to get my tools and get out. I didn’t hesitate loading up my Tools on my Utility Cart and heading to empty my Locker in the Maintenance Compound.

I’d barely gotten my Coveralls off when Kharen and Paul showed up wanting the Key to the Compound. After Paul walked away Kharen tried being the level head suggesting we would talk on Monday when cool heads would prevail. My response was “Nothing will change by Monday and I’ll be back for my cheque next week”.

I was half way home feeling relieved when I remembered to call Kathy. It wasn’t even 9:00. She wasn’t surprised knowing it was about to happen. Minutes later I was home. I kiddingly said I even brought my own lunch.

Drizzle melting the Snow.

I spent the next Hour modifying my Resume and Cover-Page before using them to apply for a few more jobs. They will also show that I have been working but not where.

It felt strange having lunch with Kathy at noon but we both enjoyed it. I spent most of the afternoon catching up on reading many of the Blogs we follow. Later we went to Guardian Storage to collect our Mail before going to the Motor City Community Credit Union to deposit my Pay-Cheque. Since it might be a while before we do it again we went to Taco Bell’s Drive-Thru where we used a Coupon to get Burritos for supper.

Back at the Apartment before 4:30 I called Ivan at his home. Having worked on a number of jobs together we became fast Friends. The Bridge Closure had him home early again today. He said Paul was Drunkenly Bragging to him that I would be back begging for my job on Monday. Paul didn’t like it when Ivan told him I wouldn’t be back. We’ll be getting together for a Barbecue later this Summer.

The 6 o’clock Local News reported 47 Active Coronavirus Cases for the Windsor/Essex Region. They also spoke about a Court Injunction that will end the Border Blockade.

Now it’s time to catch up on more reading.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.


Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

If you think nobody cares whether or not you’re alive try missing a couple of payments.

18 comments:

  1. Whew. This has been an exhausting ride in a crazy place. I am glad you are out of there.
    (In Texas, we say we'll just eat beans and cornbread for a while when a job ends...I don't know what it is in Canada, but beans and cornbread do provide a full protein....so poor people can get by!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No surprise. I went thru something similar 30 years ago. Got my antenna up for 30+ years, and made sure it didn't happen again. That's where I learned to trust my gut. If it doesn't feel right, it most likely isn't. Good riddance, and the only way you'll see them is in your rear view mirror, if you are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I'm so glad you can now move on to an employer that will appreciate you. Hopefully no more 6 days per week, please! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Rick, I'm sure glad to hear you are out of that hell hole. Kathy must be some relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure you get your ROE when you go for your last cheque too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Rick; you’re a lot more tolerant than most & that outfit will have a very hard time with any more maintenance.You perhaps should consider becoming a mobile service- with your skills & you have a lot of the equipment- could even consider RVs- & you would be your own boss— ofcourse head South come winter.All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We work many jobs over a lifetime. I think I learned something even in the mundane ones. Sometimes we learn more about ourselves & human nature, character builders. I applaud you for your patience and attitude and you never once named the place. Good luck, Rick. I hate to say - I enjoyed the soap opera. Hoping you find a job with a clean environment & nice people. You deserve it after this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So this chapter in your life has come to an end. Time to reflect on it and to move on. Hope happier times are in store for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your retirement. I retired three times.
    Maybe you can come south next winter 🥶❄️❄️ instead of staying in the cold.
    You two take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. At last! Congratulations. Consider it a compliment to be fired/quit from that place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But the good part is you made a new friend...that's priceless! Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best news I have heard all day, that was a seriously toxic workplace. The character of a workplace flows downhill from the top, it is abundantly clear why that place is the way it is. I am glad you are out of there, no job is worth that kind of treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well- I'm not sure allowing them to terminate you was the appropriate move. I have all kinds of questions.
    *Your likely not eligible for unemployment compensation - You could consider filing a claim/charge against Paul for
    #1 - Toxic & dangerous working environment.
    #2 - Under the influence/drunk & intimidation.
    #3 - Failure to provide earned wages on time - (at lest twice?)
    #4 - Failure to protect and compensate you for your tools?
    #5 - Failure to consistently observe & enforce safety & health standards.

    This clown & his minions act worked you over pretty good - Your Blog is a accurate & timely journal & memorizes each today and the events.

    You mentioned in a recent post that one of your resources assisting you with a new position let it slip Paul's outfit has exhibited a history with employee abuse issues...Yes?

    You've been exceptionally generous while conducting yourself with dignity as an effective an productive professional craftsman.
    Time to look out for number one and take this clown act & his minion on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A door closes; another one opens. This is a blessing in disguise. Your sanity and peace of mind will benefit to the nth degree!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you are out of there. No one deserves to be treated in the manner you were by both Paul and Kharen.

    They will soon learn how valuable of an employee you were. I doubt they will find another person with your knowledge and professionalism.

    Good luck, may you soon find a job worthy of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you Rick. So glad you can relax and enjoy your time between jobs. Maybe you'll decide to retire for good.

    ReplyDelete