It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Taking Measurements To Prove My Point, All-In-One Workshop and New Fridge.

 Our Location today is at Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

I’ve mentioned before that if someone assigns me a task until I have it laid out on paper or completed I’ll lose sleep doing it repeatedly when I should be sleeping at night. I had to take an Extra Strength Tylenol at 2:00 so that I could sleep.

Yesterday just before the end of the shift Kharen the Supervisor did just that. With his broken English and his excited ramblings it made it difficult at times to understand what he was saying. What got me through it was the fact that I’ve worked around much larger units and had a basic understanding of what he wanted.

Once I was set up for my shift this morning I informed Paul the Owner that I would be busy measuring upstairs. Being by myself I was able to calmly look at what was before me and get measurements that I could not get while someone was having a meltdown in front of me. It also allowed me to see that what Kharen wanted me to plumb to the Air Dryer was already built in. By utilizing that would save Materials and Time.

When I returned to the Maintenance Compound he was already there making a mess of the shop acting like he knew what he was doing. When he grew argumentative I pointed out my discovery and used my soapstone to draw it on the Workbench. He denied that existed but I insisted he needed to look again and pointed out what it would save us.

He insisted on checking other machines as we crossed the Mezzanine gathering more repairs that I would need to do. Even as I pointed out what was obvious it took nearly Ten Minutes of repeatedly explaining it to him before he saw what was before him. He finally agreed to what I was saying and the savings it would create.

Back at the Compound I had to revert to my Machining Skills and used the Taps and Dies to repair another problem.

I had barely finished that when Paul the Owner asked me a little favour. He purchased an All-in-One Workshop that many might remember being advertised in a Popular Mechanics Magazine from Sixty Years ago. I had it put together in less then an Hour. It had a single Electric Motor that with the use of pulleys powered a Drill Press, Table Saw, Disc Sander or Joiner. I then had to instruct Paul on how to make the different tools work as needed.

That’s when Kharen showed up trying to say it was useless. (For a business yes but for a hobby no.) I changed the subject asking him if he had ordered the V-Belts for the Cooling Fans. When he said no Paul told me to write what we needed and said he’d go pick them up today. I saw daggers staring my way.
Kathy had gone out for a few minutes and had just gotten in when I called. The temperature was perfect for having the Balcony Door and Bedroom Window open.

Back inside there was a quick repair on a Carrier when Kharen showed up with a small Roller Device that was jammed. When he returned minutes later he was shocked to see it all in pieces. Fifteen Minutes later I was returning it to the Powder Coating Room working the way it should.

Once again the Paint-Line shut down early so Kharen (must have had a burr stuck someplace) came in screaming orders that the Manifold Link between Section Seven and Eight had to be done this weekend. Ivan and I went inside the Washer and did a few needed last minute modifications. Then we hoisted Paul’s All-in-One Workshop to the Mezzanine for safe keeping. With Kharen being too busy to help with final measurements Ivan helped me so when we order the Pipes they’ll be made to size making the job much easier.

When I entered our building Joel the Assistant Manager and Handyman spotted me. He said they had another Refrigerator for us and just needed to know when to deliver it. I responded saying give us a Half Hour. Our old Fridge was sounding like the old Cast Iron Heaters clanging every Five Minutes to the point of waking us at night.

In the Apartment Kathy was shocked but at the same time happy to hear about the Fridge. Since we have been trying to wear down our perishable foods in case the old Fridge died we were able to use our Collapsible Coolers and Insulated Shopping Bags to pack everything from the Freezer and Fridge into. I called the Office only Twenty Minutes after talking to Joel downstairs. Ten Minutes later we were putting the newer Fridge in place. The shelving is different so it took a while to repack it.

We had a Store Bought Thin Crust Medium Vegetarian Pizza for supper.

There was no 6 o’clock Local News today to report on the Coronavirus in the Windsor/Essex Region due to a newly created Holiday for many. We’ll see them tomorrow.

The Weather Network showed our temperature reached a high of 70 F (21 C) again today but we’ll be slowly cooling down.

Hard to believe that September is over already. We can only hope the rest of the year is better.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

You know your getting old when You have more patience, but it is actually that you just don't care anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking the supervisor must have compromising pictures of the owner. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog very much. We are past full timers. Just wondering why so many of your words are in color and bold? I tried to click them if you were linking to a website or definition of your word? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete