It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Rusty Refit.

 Our Location today is at Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

This was not what I wanted to be doing on the last official weekend of summer. At least I had the chance to sleep an Hour longer which made up for the time I lay awake thinking of the task ahead. I still managed to arrive early and had barely gotten the Car Windows adjusted for the day when the door to the Plant opened.

I was already hauling tools into the Washer before any of the other workers started arriving. Knowing approximately where the Cutting and Welding would be done I was busy Grinding years of Rust that was just flaking off the entire inside of this chamber.

As soon as Ivan arrived we brought out the Plasma Cutter. This is a Machine that uses a combination of an Electric Arc along with Air Pressure to cleanly cut through thinner metals without overheating or distorting the material. I had to cut the holes through the Roof of the Washer where the Flanges for the Three Inch Feed Lines would connect to the Flanges attached to the Manifolds that I built through the week.

After welding Brackets to the inside walls with the help of Line Workers that were in as Cleaning Crew the Manifolds were lifted in position. We had to loosely secure them while I had to attach the outer Flanges on the Roof and setting the Bolts through. Once Ivan put the Nuts and Washers on the inside Flanges it all had to be tightened. Back inside the Manifolds were welded to the Wall Brackets.

It was past 1:30 when we stopped for lunch. Paul the Owner sat and talked with us at the Picnic Table swapping work stories from ages ago. (Kind of funny that the Three Oldest People working in the Plant were enjoying laughs together.)

On our return to the Washer I noted the Water Tank we were working over had been emptied as best as possible. (At this point Five Inches or Two Hundred Gallons still remain.) One of the jobs Paul had asked me to do was install a Drain Line with a Valve. Without asking Ivan and I had to search for Bolts that would hold the Valve in place. Once ready we worked getting the Blank removed while shoving the Valve in place. I was inside the cavity under the Washer while Ivan was next to it. I was wet with sweat but got a little bit more wet. Paul came to investigate what we were doing. Ivan explained it the same way I had told him that with the Valve in place I could work underneath while the Line ran during the week.

Back inside we managed to install all the Vertical Pipes and the lower Bracketing. There was a snag however that we didn’t see coming that caused another setback. I mentioned how corroded the Washer has become since it has seen at least Forty Years of service. Paul noticed a line of light showing along the upper Air Plenum but Ivan and I could see Pinholes of corrosion through the outer Walls. That will all have to be repaired before too long.

Paul kept trying to convince Ivan and I to return on Sunday calling us his “Weekend Crew” but we both were too tired from our long day. It was past 6:00 when we finished for the day.

The 6 o’clock Local News was pre-empted by a Golf Tournament. I had called Kathy earlier to say we were working late so when I arrived at the Apartment at 6:30 she was very happy. She wasn't feeling well earlier so she didn't go for any walks. We had a Store Bought Thin Crust Vegetarian Pizza for supper along with a glass of Peach/Mango Juice.

There were scales of rust falling from my clothes as I got ready for my shower. The same thing happened when I started washing my Coveralls in the Pail in the Bathtub.

Really looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

The Weather Network showed we had a Humidex of 84 F (29 C) around the middle of the afternoon.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

It’s hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they’re always taking things literally.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you jumping the gun with 'the last official weekend of summer?' You must mean LONG weekend because we have 2 more weekends before fall begins on Sept. 23d. :) I want to hold onto it as long as I can! haha Hope Kathy is feeling okay today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it has been so long since I last commented. But I am totally up to date with your blog having read every post I missed. I have to say that you are one of the most honest and dedicated people I know. Any company would be proud to have you and would even compensate you for all the extra work you do. Do you think the other workers are as dedicated to their job.

    ReplyDelete