It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, December 22, 2023

Unexpected Sendoff.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

With this supposed to be my last day working, I figured it would be a calm relaxing one. That’s not the way it started.

I use Two Alarms to be certain I wake in case the Battery in the first decides to quit. Instinctively when I tried shutting it off this morning, the sound only got louder, it was the other clock. Somehow the first had not been set.

I still made it to work with plenty of time. I noticed another Feedscrew in the CNC Mill ready to be welded in the PTA. When I told Mile it would only take Six Hours to do, he said we’d be going home early, so don’t start the welding.

When Sorough came around we discussed what we needed to do. We started by pulling the last Two Feedscrews from the Sandbox. One went straight to the OD Grinder, while the other went to the Inspection Bench. As we were putting it there Mile wandered over, so I had to show him the results. This was the Unit that the Bearing Hard Surfacing kept separating from the Base Material. I hammered around the entire area while only hearing a solid metal sound. I crossed my fingers and he shook his head in the affirmative.

By that time Sorough had mounted the Feedscrew from the Mill into the PTA. He then went to do the touch-ups on the Bearing Pocket with the TIG Welder, while I used the Hand Grinder to sand off the Burr along the channelling. Normally, it would only take a file to clean this, but since this was a Harder Base Material, sanding was the better option. We were both finished before first break.

After break we finished changing a couple of Filters before waiting to leave. Sorough was acting foolish but I just thought it was just because the Holidays would soon be starting.

When Mile told everyone, we were done for the year, we gathered for Coffee and Donuts by the crib. Mile then nodded to Sorough, who then hands me a Card Envelope. Thinking it was just a personal Thank-You, I put it under my arm, so Mile could make his Christmas Presentation. Everyone started saying “Open It”. Shocked I did so, to find a Christmas Card signed by everyone in the Plant, along with a Tim Hortons Gift Card. A few of the younger workers that I have been mentoring, had put together a collection from everyone, for the Gift.

After I said my Thank You to everyone, Mile started his presentation by acknowledging my hard work, and wishing me a speedy recovery through my Retirement.

Everyone helped carry my Tools to the Truck and there were Phone Numbers exchanged. I then drove Sorough home, since his normal ride would not arrive until after 3:30. He then proceeded to thank me for having the patience to teach him, his newly developed Welding Skills and Outlook on Life. (He is younger than some of our grandchildren.)

Not wanting the Tools to be stolen, I stopped at our Storage Unit, where they will be safely kept.

It felt good being home with Kathy. I was so tired, it was Kathy’s phone that woke me from a Fifteen Minute Snap. After a refreshing shower we were soon out the door.

We went to the Legion 594 for the Friday Fish Fry. We chose the Perch with Sweet Potato Fries, to celebrate my Fourth Retirement. Just being out together and not having to worry about going to work is a wonderful feeling.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment, unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion, or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

Words of Inspiration

I do not demand equal pay for any women save those who do equal work in value. Scorn to be coddled by your employers; make them understand that you are in their service as workers, not as women.”

Susan B, Anthony, women's rights activist.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations and enjoy this Fourth Retirement! Tom and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I hope you start feeling better soon, being away from stressful work and the cement floor may help with the hip. Enjoy.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, hopefully the leg/hip pain will ease until you can get surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add you always say....."It's about time". Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I hope this is your final retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog logo couldn't have been more fitting: "Its about time" to retire and smell the roses, i.e. go out west! Congratulation and now do rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you can come visit all of us.
    Hope all goes well with this retirement?
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations. Hopefully it will STICK this time! Merry Christmas to you and Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not surprised you had such a good send off. From what you have said about your time at work, it seems you were a big help to everybody!!
    A good guy. So take some deep breaths and enjoy!!! Another job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 4th retirement. Blessings for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats and have a safe and speedy recovery. You would for sure have a great year ahead.

    vig

    ReplyDelete