It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Making Changes But A Real Stinker.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Even though I was early Mile and I discussed how to avoid the Cold Cracking Bearing Problem. I pointed out simple solutions like just close the Door, along with making a few Portable Curtains to create additional barriers against the Cold Air.

Even though it had spent the night in the Sandbox the Feedscrew was too Hot to touch without insulated Gloves. Once it was mounted in the PTA there was additional grinding that needed to be done, as there were more Cracks than what we spotted yesterday. Figuring that this would be a Quick Fix, Two Burners were set up, one on the Bearing and one at the beginning of the Flight at the other end of the Screw.

Following the new Procedure, every time a Pass was made the area was reheated. It was time consuming but odds of achievement were more in our favour, or so we thought. By the Third Repair the First Crack reemerged. More grinding, more heat, more weld and repeat. Even wearing my Leather Apron did not stop the Heat I was exposed to from distorting the Calculator in my Coverall Pocket. Misshapen as it is, it still works perfectly well.

There comes a time when you know it is time to start over. At 1:00 I told Mile so, but I would weld the Flights, so when the Bearing Area was cleaned off the Flights could be cleaned on the OD Grinder as well.

The Unit was Seven Hundred Degrees, perfect for welding the Flights. I cleaned the Torch and changed the Powder. Each revolution of the Feedscrew was Twelve Minutes and things were finally starting to look good. There were only Twenty Rotations to do but on the Fourth Rotation the Torch stopped moving. No matter what I tried the Machine would not work.

I was upset telling Mile that after Three Days his Job was not ready for machining. The Electrician that normally works on the PTA is presently in Florida with his family so we’ll see what we can do tomorrow. By the time I buried the Unit in the Sandbox and punched out it was 4:08.

Kathy was happy to have me home before 5:00 and after seeing it, was amazed that my Calculator still worked. My shirt was finally dry after all the sweating I did.

For supper we had a Store-Bought Thin Crust Hawaiian Pizza.

The 6 o’clock Local News forecasted that we have a Winter Storm heading our way for Friday. We are only expecting Six Inches (Fifteen Centimetres) accumulation but it is more than we’ve had so far this Winter.

I get to sleep in by an Hour tomorrow.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment, unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion, or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

Words of Inspiration

Never dull your shine for somebody else.

Tyre Banks, Fashion Model

No comments:

Post a Comment