It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Thursday, March 2, 2023

It Will Crack Again and Ultra Sound.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

When I arrived at the Plant this morning I was fairly certain what would be my first job, but Mile had other ideas. No Problem, it was still the same kind of work, but just a smaller sized Feedscrew that needed the same repair. It was not on the racks or the blocks where I would normally find them but in a Lathe to have the Shank turned.

Plan “B” was to work on the Unit I had originally planned, but suddenly Pat the Consultant was to be there for 8:00. He finally made it for 9:00 but I had been busy working on the PTA, Torch along with adding the Stellite 6 Powder and removing the Colomony 56 from the Bin that the heater was not working.

This Ten Inch Feedscrew had Cracks running throughout the Bearing. The interesting part of all this was that it was the first Feedscrew that Pat had overseen as a way of stopping those Cracks. He tried saying he had told me to do it a different way, but I had written it all down. The smaller Unit has the same issue with its Bearing which was again under Pat’s guidance. It seemed that my suggestions that Mile had ignored were the same ones that Pat made, and were somewhat used.

Mile wanted me to grind all the Cracks then Stick Weld them. Both Pat and I nixed that idea as it would have only made things worse. Using a different TIG Filler Rod was our plan of attack. As I welded the ground out Cracks I could see this as a waste of time because the Hard Surfacing was separating from the Base Material and I told Mile when he came around. He said my welds looked good so it should work. The problem was in preparing the Job for me to weld, it was OD ground to Finished Size, not to the Base Material Size. I simply told him that after all this it would Crack again.

When I called Kathy at lunchtime I found her at Clear Imaging. She was scheduled for an Ultra Sound that I had forgotten about.

Besides keeping the Feedscrew around 200 F (100 C) in an attempt to stop my welds from Cracking, I spent the remainder of the shift TIG Welding the Unit before putting it in the Sandbox, to slow cool overnight.

When everyone in the Plant saw Mile on the Forklift loading a Truck, we all made a mad dash for the Time-Clock as to avoid any last minute jobs that he is notorious for giving out.

Passing the gas station today, I was glad we filled the Car last night. Gasoline had gone up Ten Cents a Litre (Thirty Eight Cents a US Gallon).

After a quick stop at Motor City Community Credit Union, I headed to Pharma Choice to pick up the owed medications that they were running low on in January.

It was nearly 4:30 by the time I walked in the Apartment. An hour later we were having Veggie Wraps for supper along with Nanaimo Bars for dessert.

On the 6 o’clock Local News they reported that we should get another taste of Winter starting tomorrow afternoon.

Being so close to all the welding today, I’m now fighting the start of a Sinus Infection.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment, unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion, or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

You Might Be a Redneck If

You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment