It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, February 3, 2023

It Was Bound To Happen.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Today started like any other at work, with me busy doing Touch-Ups on a couple of Feedscrews that were nearing completion. One of the things some of us at work have noticed is that the Lead Machinist has lost his touch. When the final adjustments are finished he does not leave well enough alone, which leads to more welding and refinishing. He is very knowledgeable in the field but does more harm than good in the finishing stages.

After speaking with Kathy at lunchtime I was certain I’d be leaving work at 3:30.

I’ve mentioned months ago that one particular Machinist was responsible for most of my Overtime. With things slowing down Henry has not been around but today he was back and so was my Overtime.

Around 2:30 Mile looking upset brought me over to the Lathe that Henry was working on. Henry was supposed to cut a Thread to the Shank of a Feedscrew but managed to shave Three Quarters of the material off. With that Screw slated to be shipped on Monday Mile asked if I please could stay over to build it up on the PTA. (Metal can always be replaced when something like that happens.)

I got it set up in the PTA, figuring it would only take a Couple of Hours. The Torch, after not working for the last few days decided it want more time off. There I was unplugging the lines when Mile came around. I also needed to hand grind the mess it had created. When it finally started to work the Computer kept dropping some of the Numbers I had entered which meant I had to manually reposition it.

I called Kathy to let her know of the change of Plans. She just said to Stay Safe.

Mile had to go help the Senior Machinist fix the last Feedscrew I had repaired that his touch up had messed up. Luckily the Inspector was there to say it was the Machinist’s hands on approach that had just caused another delay.

When Mile returned I had the PTA running smoothly, laying down a good layer of metal. We had a chance to talk and learn a lot about one another. Since there was nobody else on the floor, they had all gone home. Mile stayed by my side even offering to go get Coffee. We both talked about loved ones we have lost to Cancer. I spoke about our Travels and setting the Trailer up for being “Off the Grid in the desert. He just asked that I give him time to find a replacement for me before going back South.

It was after 7:00 when we checked our progress and even though we had added Five/Eighths of an Inch of metal, there was still another Three/Eighths to go. Henry had taken off more material then he said he had. It was 7:30 when I finally punched out but I’ll have to go in to finish the job in the morning. It will be the first Saturday since I started working at Windsor Feedscrew.

Luckily Kathy had eaten but I was so overly hungry the big meal she had prepared for me was too much. I asked for a simple Sandwich then told her I needed to work tomorrow. I was taking care of getting other things ready for the morning so when I returned to the kitchen and saw a Sandwich I just started devouring it. That’s when Kathy turned around in shock to say I was eating tomorrow’s lunch. She made another Sandwich for tomorrow but hopefully I will be home to eat it.

Kathy was falling asleep next to me so she’s already gone to bed. After washing up and posting this Blog it’s time for me to join her.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment, unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion, or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

Words of Inspiration

Although beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, the feeling of being beautiful exists solely in the mind of the beheld.

Martha Beck, Author

3 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be a great feeling giving Mile plenty of notice and heading south?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is,if you want to work after a winter in the south Mile would be happy to have you back.Well done,especially after the previous job- all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long day you had. No wonder you ate tomorrow's lunch.

    ReplyDelete