It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, October 21, 2022

Not As Planned.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

When you work in small shops sometimes you have to work Overtime or even do Off-Shift. It’s not really what you Plan to do but if you want to show that you are interested in the Business itself you will do it on occasion.

I’ve mentioned that I try not to Plan things too often because when I do chances are extremely high that it won’t happen. That’s kind of what is happening at Windsor Feedscrew at the moment.

The Plan was for me to go on Afternoon Shift for Three Days so Alec would start the Twenty-Three Foot, Five Thousand Pound Feedscrew on Day Shift and I would finish it on Afternoon.

When I went in on Wednesday Afternoon Alec was busy welding the Flights on the Plasma Transfer Arc machine. I found out that he had not been sick the day before but their vehicle had been involved in a “Hit and Run Accident” instead. He had the pictures to prove it.

On Wednesday the plant Compressor went down not only affecting what was happening on the PTA but on other jobs as well. That would mean I had to finish welding the Flights before welding the Bearing Surface. Chances on me completing that by the end of the shift were NIL. I buried it in the Sandbox around 11:20 meaning that Alec would have to finish it in the morning.

I was tired as could be when I got home at Midnight to find Kathy waiting for my return. She had tried but could not sleep before. Then she informed we had a 9:00 am appointment. A quick wash up and catch a few hours sleep.

We parked down that street at the end of the
parking lot Wednesday Evening.
Picture at 8:15 before the Rain started.

Thursday morning we stopped at McDonald’s for a quick breakfast so we got extra sleep. The appointment went well but left us with more questions. We’ll wait to find out.

Back at the Apartment we had to park out on the side streets because even though the Parking Lot was just repaved Contractors were being brought in to clean it even though the temperature was just above Freezing and it was Raining. That makes no Sense.

We spent the rest of the morning researching and organizing documents. We shared a Store Bought Medium Thin Crust Three Meat Pizza for a late lunch.

Back at the Plant expecting to see Alec finishing the Large Feedscrew I was shocked to see another in its place. The story behind that was the Lead Machinist (self taught Welder and not very good at it) tried to fix a Pinhole by using the Arc Welder. It destroyed the Bearing Surface and had to be completely redone. Alex would stay over until I was available because there was another Feedscrew waiting on the Inspection Bench for me to TIG Weld. The Lead Machinist had been told to leave it for me. (Maybe that was why he gave me a Cold Shoulder when I waved to him.) It was 5:30 when I finished that Bearing repair.

Everything was going well on the PTA until I went to finish the Pocket Shoulder at 10:00 pm. Alec had burned an edge and when I went to blend it Pinholes galore started popping up. I finally had to grind them out before removing the Feedscrew from the PTA then use the Transfer Cart to bring it to the TIG Welder where I was able to make the necessary repairs. As I buried it in the Sandbox I was chuckling to myself because both these Feedscrews were Planned to be shipped Friday. (Hey that’s today.)

We have Plans for the weekend. Then Jim called thinking we’d get together on Saturday. Sorry Jim make that Sunday.

Kathy and I missing my presence at home in the evenings. She keeps trying to wait up when she needs more sleep then I do. As it stands the Plans for me to be on Afternoons for only Three Days might not happen. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens. I’m not making any Plans.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

A red and a blue ship have just collided in the Caribbean. Apparently the survivors are marooned.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are proving to be very valuable around there. Good luck,

    ReplyDelete