It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Wiring The Wind Generator Charge Controller In The Wind.


Our Location today is at the La Posa South, LTVA, Quartzsite, Arizona.

Click on the pictures to Enlarge

After traveling to Yuma yesterday and doing a lot of walking getting our Groceries and Storage Containers along with Kathy feeling slightly under the weather, when we went to bed last night we were asleep as soon as our heads hit our pillows. Last night the outside temperature with the Windchill dipped below the Freezing Mark which meant more cuddle time and of course sleeping in. It was past 8:30 this morning when I got downstairs and minutes later Kathy joined me. It was definitely a morning for turning up our Blue Flame Heater to make the temp a little less frigid.
Kathy had changed her CPAP Mask last night before going to bed and somehow the Harness had slid into her right eye a couple of times through the night. I was feeling under the weather this morning not having much energy. We were just about to take our Coffee/Tea over to the Computers when there was a knock at our door. It was Dick the person that had asked about our Wind Generator yesterday. Even though we had invited him to stop by I didn’t expect him before 9:00. I simply let him know that I hadn’t gotten dressed yet and wasn’t feeling the best so he said he’d come back.
Lite Breeze this morning.
Even though I have not yet connected the Wind Generator Charge Controller to the Batteries everyone wants to know what the output is and I cannot answer. Wanting to know that myself and be able to monitor it from inside I was busy shopping for a Digital Meter this morning. I found one that sounds like it will do the trick but think that I’ll have to add a Choke so it will simply monitor the Generator and not the Batteries. I’ll know after I speak with Les the Retired Electrician tomorrow.

We enjoyed Split Pea and Ham Soup for lunch along with a Yogurt Cup for a dessert that helped sooth our upset stomachs.
The Wind seemed to increase after lunch and it was really bothering Kathy. It was bothering me because the Clouds were blocking the Sun from charging our Batteries and the Wind Generator’s energy was just going to waste. Dressed to stay warm I tried working on the wiring standing next to the Trailer but the Wind kept jostling me around. I finally had to use our Dining Table to accomplish the task.
Back outside I plugged the Controller into the Wind Generator near the base of the Tower. As soon as I checked the output with my Handheld Multi-Meter the Voltage was holding steady at 12 Volts and the Amperage was spiking on my Meter. This Meter was not designed for High Ampere Readings so I definitely want a more permanent way of monitoring this.
High Winds.
When I opened the Curbside Basement Door I had barely gotten under it when the Wind Slammed it down. Even after propping it open with a Pole the Wind still brought it down Twice more. I now have Three New Goose Eggs to show off. Disconnecting the Charge Controller I simply brought the Extension Cord through the Hose Cap through the Water Control Center. Not having the proper coloured Wire I did a temporary connection just to take advantage of the Wind.
The Wind Generator Charge Controller.
The Three Green Wires connect to the Alternator.
Red and Black wires to the Battery.
With the sky completely Cloud Covered giving Wind Gusts of 25 MPH or more it was past 4:00 when I finally went back inside. Checking the Solar Charge Controller as well as the Pin Lights inside the Electrical Control Panel they both indicated that our Batteries were fully charged. Even though the Wind was battering the Trailer and the sound was bothering Kathy the Wind Generator was not making a sound.

Many times through my career I had to work out in High Winds on Scaffolding wearing Safety Harnesses just to get the equipment needed to run the factory back online and that’s why these Winds don’t bother me. Kathy has been exposed to a couple of Tornadoes and that’s why the sound really bothers her. Also not being able to walk around outside was giving her a touch of Cabin Fever so I suggested we go out for supper.

We rushed a little to get out of the LTVA but you couldn’t tell because the few vehicles that were out were moving just as fast (20 MPH, Speed Limit is 15). Once on Arizona 95 we managed to hit both Red Traffic Signals. We pulled into Herb’s Hardware just as they were bringing in some of their wares. By the time I had the properly colour coded Wires they were closing the door behind me.
We wanted Fish & Chips for supper and the place we find that suits our taste is Taco Mia. Even though it is an all you can eat meal we both left some on our plates from the first batch.

The Wind was still blowing when we left so we drove around exploring parts of Quartzsite that we had never seen. There was no fear of missing the Sunset because there were too many clouds to see the Sun. It was nearly 7:00 when we got back Home.

The Wind has now calmed down where Kathy is relaxed and she’ll definitely be sleeping well tonight because the Rain is already tapping away on our Roof. Thank you for following along and feel free to leave a comment.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.
Krackers

Words of Inspiration

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.

Henry David Thoreau, American Writer and Philosopher

4 comments:

  1. You are a very considerate husband thank you for pampering Kathy.

    Those winds look awfully nasty. Good to hear the wind generator is charging up your batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well remember those western winds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's so cool you got it working. Between the wind generator and the solar panels, you're all set!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you made the right choice to add this wind generator.

    ReplyDelete