It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Design Change, Lunch At Silly Al’s and More High Winds.


Our Location today is at the La Posa South, LTVA, Quartzsite, Arizona.

Click on the pictures to Enlarge

When I got up at 7:30 I had barely gotten the Window Shades raised when Kathy joined me downstairs. Normally she needs more rest than I do but she had waken feeling totally refreshed without even knowing what the Time was.
I’ve often mentioned how many times while just laying in bed things will flash in my mind when engineering things. That happen just before I got up so I let Kathy know about the change in design.
Silly Al's was nearly empty until our food arrived.
After completing my inside chores I was headed outside by 9:30 to try to see if I had all the pieces that it would take to pull this off. It turned out we were One Coupling short. The Wind Generator Tower that I am building has to be portable which for us means that it has to come apart. Having made other Towers in the past that had been solid would not work for this. The Head will support the Wind Generator to the top of the Legs. The Center Frame will attach the upper and lower Legs together as well as giving it some rigidity. What I was trying to do away with was a Lower Frame but by doing so would more than likely have caused the lower part of the Tower to fail.
Using the Truck and Trailer to block the Wind
I was welding on our Wind Generator Tower.
Wayne came over to see what I was up to and when I explained my problem he checked if he had an extra Coupling that I could later replace. He didn’t have any so that meant before I could continue much further I would have to run to town. Before doing that I finished cutting the last of the Antenna Mast to the sizes that would be needed. There was a Four Inch Piece Of Scrap out of Three Full Lengths.
Adjusting the Fit.
Kathy was out taking pictures.
Looking at the Time while Kathy got ready to come with me I suggested we have lunch out. She suggested someplace that we haven’t been to yet this year Silly Al’s.
The small box under the front of the Trailer is the Welding Machine.
Notice the Flag in the distance and how windy it is.
When we arrived the parking lot was only half full. We sat down at a table in the Bar area. After looking over the Menu we each ordered a Silly Al’s Side Salad and a Small Bruschetta Pizza that we shared. The place suddenly filled up. The food was tasty and didn’t leaving us stuffed. We were leaving by 12:30.
The Flags on Ken's tent barely changed their position.
I lucked out finding a parking spot on Keuhn Street across from K&B Tools. Kathy stayed in the Truck while I braved the Weekend Crowds that came to check out the remaining vendors.
(L-R) Head, Bottom and Center Frames
We were back Home by 1:10 and the Wind was really starting to increase so after parking the Truck to block the Wind I started fitting the pieces together. Once everything was tacked I had to add an extra Sweater under my Coveralls because the 32 MPH Wind Gust along with the 54 F (12 C) temperatures had me feeling chilled. It took longer to get everything welded because of the Wind but eventually I managed to finish just before Sunset.
As we sit at our Computers the Wind continues to batter the Trailer while we listen to a Lite Rain taping on our Roof. Tomorrow I hope to have the Wind Generator up and running then watch the High Winds stop. Thank you for following along and feel free to leave a comment.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.
Krackers

You Might Be a Redneck If

You've ever given a full set of NASCAR plastic cups as a wedding present.

7 comments:

  1. It seems to me like you accomplished a lot today. On my bucket list is a visit to Silly Al's Pizza.

    I can tell by the pictures just how intense those winds are. You guys take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting colder and more windy. Hope you get it up and running soon. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really waiting to see how many amps the wind generator will produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss our friends out there but we do not miss the wind and the crowds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are waiting to see the wind generator in action and how it performs. The one in our RV park is running on overdrive at this wind we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are waiting to see the generator in action too! Love Silly Al's we only got there once this year :( Nice sunset pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think I will have to drive up there and camp out for a few days just so I can go to Silly Al's

    ReplyDelete