It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Rethinking.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

First thing this morning, I was back to welding the Feedscrew on the Inspection Bench. Repairing the Hard-Surfacing Material on the Flights was much easier that the Mixer. The fact that they were made wider, gave the Powder more contact area to bond with the Base.

I was nearly finished when I noticed the TIG Torch was getting too Hot to hold and then the Cooler sounded like it was starting to scream. I paused the welding and found one of the Coolant Lines had gotten pinched. The fact that Mile had brought in a Rent-A-Welder last week when I had left early, could explain why things seemed out of place. After moving this and that, everything started working the way it should and the Screw was finished before First Break.

I talked briefly with Enrico who had the same Surgeon use the same injection on his Knees. It lasted for years before he experienced any twinges, but none were as severe as they had been before.

I had Planned on calling the Surgeon’s Office at Break, but Tamara was needing more information about the Problems the Plasma Transfer Arc has been causing. It was past 11:00 by the time she had all the notes to present to the PTA Manufacturer. The Plan is to bring them in to Reprogram the System and make repairs to some of the Drives.

After moving the Six-Inch Unit that I’d welded earlier, I loaded a Three Inch Feedscrew that needed the Centering Hole Filled. It would take until our Lunch Break to complete the Job and this time it was the job not the Torch that was Hot.

I took my Lunch to the Truck so I could have some privacy and less noise. The first call I made was to Kathy who had just gotten back from getting those Wiper Blades installed at Canadian Tire. It took Three Mechanics to figure out how to install them and they were doing it in a lit garage. We verified what we had spoken about last night.

I made the next call to the Surgeon’s Office where I booked the Injection. This is done in the Hospital using Ultrasound to guide the Needle. Now we have to wait for the Hospital to schedule the Appointment.

I made a third call to the City of Windsor, who is responsible for maintaining the Lights on the Ganatchio Trail. Two of those Lights are at the back of our Parking Lot and add to the Security of our Vehicles. After having the Truck broken into Last Year and the License Plates stolen off the Car this year, you might understand why I want them fixed.

Finally I called Kathy back to let her know what was happening.

Khalin kiddingly told me a Screw I had welded needed to be redone, but I did not recognize it. Last Friday when the PTA went down Mile had this Unit shipped to Detroit, to be welded. Guess who will have to weld over the mess that company made?

It felt good to leave at the end of the shift, but there was more to do. I had to stop at the Pioneer gas station to fuel up the Truck. Luckily the Diesel Prices had dropped overnight but for Three Weeks it still cost Two Hundred Dollars to fill. The 6 o’clock Local News showed Oil Prices shot up again today.

I used a Coupon to pick up supper at Wendy’s. Kathy was happy to not have to make supper.

After Kathy and I read all the Comments on Yesterday’s Blog, we started having second thoughts about the Injections. They would only be a temporary fix where the Replacement will be something for the rest of my life. Looks like I’ll be making another visit to the Surgeon.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment, unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion, or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

What does a book do in the winter?


It puts on a jacket.

5 comments:

  1. I think you are wise Rick. I have had two people in my life get hip replacements. Both of them commented that when they woke up they couldn't believe that there was so little pain, only discomfort from the incision site. Certainly physiotherapy was done but now they are so happy with the results (one is my sister). Good luck whatever route you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People really poured their hearts out to you in the comments yesterday. I read every word & learned some new things. Contessa said the waiting list for a hip replacement in Canada is 12 to 36 months. Yikes.! People expressed various opinions & stories - but, one thing I'm sure every one of your readers would agree on - "Please turn in your resignation notice immediately.!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick-I read your blog every day but never comment. I have been so impressed with your welding skills and your old-fashioned gumption in working through your pain. Today I was relieved to read that you have opted for the surgery...great choice! 10 yrs ago I watched my husband be nearly crippled by the pain in his left hip/leg. He finally had a full hip replacement and the day after surgery he said he wished he had had the surgery years before. The pain was gone!! Just some serious "stiffness" in the joint as the muscles adapted, but he was pain free. By the end of the week (and with PT) he could go up and down our flight of stairs at home after hospital discharge. About a month of mostly daily pt.... and he was walking over a mile every day by the 2nd month...and continues to do so. His surgeon originally told him that going the injection route was itself painful for a bit, and basically just delayed the inevitable with the only difference being that the patient was now a couple of years older and thus slower to heal, etc. Hope you stick to the surgery option. And, I agree about the retirement also. The pain is a huge warning that your body is giving you about possible further damage. You are a remarkable man to have suffered through this all for all these months. I admit to having enjoyed learning about feed screws...never realized how they were created. Would love to see a photo of the "sandbox" though...any chance you could take 1 at the plant and post it? Take care... Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Major surgery is always a risk. Brenda had her knee replaced 9 years ago last spring and I can't count how many times she has told me that if she could give a million dollars and have her old knee back she would be on the way to the hospital. Her surgeon told us before hand that 15% of people weren't pleased with the results but we just thought well that won't be us. It turned out to be a life changing operation and not a positive one. She was back three months later for them to go in and see why the pain was not going away. Nothing wrong it was just a result of the surgery itself. After some very expensive treatments that in the USA that were not available in Canada she is at least now, 9 years later, getting around without her cane. This girl who spent 3 or 4 days a week on horseback and riding the high country both here at home and down in Arizona has never been able to get on her horse or even wear her boots and jeans since. Just a cautionary tale, choose wisely and be in the other 85%.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick, good choice on scheduling the surgery, trying cortisone first may work for a while, but it is not a fix. Get the surgery scheduled as soon as you can. There will be a recovery period for sure, and it might be hard, but with determination and physio you will get through it. I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete