It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

All That For Eyes and Some Accomplishments.

Our Location today is McGregor, Ontario, Canada. 

Having to wake up to the alarm clock is not one of the things we really like to do but every now and again we have no choice. We only had time for breakfast before heading out the door by 8:45 this morning. With a 9:30 appointment time I was hoping to be back Home by 11:00 to start working on our basement. Our destination was Windsor where I had an appointment to see another Ophthalmologist for a second opinion. I made certain that Kathy was with me for a few reasons. The first was that she could hear firsthand what the doctor would tell me and if my eyes were dilated she would have to drive. 

We were nearly a half hour ahead of time but that didn’t mean that we got in any sooner. After having my eyes retested by an assistant I finally got to meet the doctor who asked the same question many times only wording it differently each time. By the time she dilated my eyes and stepped out to check another patient Kathy needed to go add more money to the meter. In the end she confirmed that my problem was caused by Cataracts and explained what the procedure was to correct it. When we told her we were heading south in less than three weeks she suddenly thought of another thing she wanted to check. She wished us Safe Travels and if I choose to get the cataracts fixed she’d gladly do it. 

Since my eyes were out of focus Kathy drove us to the Shoppers Drug Mart at Tecumseh Road and Howard Avenue. She needed to waste some time doing some light shopping while I went to the 700 Building for the prescribed test. Because of the rarity of this blood test I needed to pay up front to have it done and the fact that it was nearly lunch time it was over a half hour before the test was done. Without leaving the building it took nearly fifteen minutes before I had a chest X-ray. Both Kathy and I have no idea how those two test have anything to do with the eyes. 

We were both starving as we were heading towards Home so we stopped in at the Michigan Diner on Howard for lunch. At first we were thinking of getting a burger or something but when we saw they were still serving breakfast at 1:00 in the afternoon that’s what we ended up having. 

We were finally back Home just before 2:00 so I now had three less hours to work with. After emptying most of the basement I also had to dismantle the false wall that had been installed at the factory to hide a drain line if we were to have a washer in our trailer. Doing so gained back wasted space so the batteries would not use up more of our basement space. It took very little time to install the Battery Rack but when I went to install the retaining straps I had to take a few steps back. Not only did I have to remove the Battery Rack but had to loosen the bolts holding them together. Once the rack was back in place it took nearly an hour to cut out the Spray-in-Foam and Silicon Sealer the factory had used to hold the wires leading to the main Battery in place. This was necessary to connect all the batteries together.  
With room for two more batteries the racks are using half
reclaimed space. You can see the Pure Sine Wave Inverter
mounted (Upper Left) as well as reusing reclaimed cables.
I also relocated a hook that had been factory installed in the basement to hold our power cord closer to the left side of the trailer. That simple move allowed me to mount our existing Pure Sine Wave Inverter that we use to power our CPAP Machines with where the hook had originally been. Our second larger Pure Sine Wave Inverter has been ordered and should be here by next Monday.  
Macaroni and Cheese with Ham. Half frozen fruit for dessert.
Around 5:00 Kathy called me in for supper. She used up the last of the Ham we brought Home from our Thankmas Family Celebration by mixing it with Macaroni and Cheese. She also used the last of the Fruit that she had brought Home but is not happy with the fact that our Freezer defrosts our frozen food and our Fridge freezes other things that are by the coil fins. 

As soon as supper was finished I strapped in our A.G.M. Batteries and started wiring them all together. Even though the temperature was warmer than normal for this time of year with the high winds it felt very comfortable. By 6:30 the winds were really starting to pick up so Kathy suggested I call it a night. 

As this blog is being written the rain is making our Home sound like the inside of a drum. Tomorrow we have to use that dreaded Alarm Clock again. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy! 

It’s about time.

You Might Be a Redneck If 

Your hobbies include "scratching."


  1. Nice job on the battery rack and batteries install.

  2. When do you get the results of the x-ray? Will you have the Cataracts removed before you leave?

  3. How do you turn on and off the inverter when it is placed in your basement compartment? When we aren't using AC power we always turn our inverter off to save the inverter running down our batteries.

  4. The install of the A.G.M. Batteries and the inverter are looking good.

  5. I wish I would have had my cataracts done last spring when it was suggested. I didn't feel comfortable driving as they got worse and worse. Now I can't wait to get them scheduled.