It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Monday, May 18, 2015

Struggling To Get Done.

Our Location today is Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada.

We both managed to get such a good night’s sleep that we were both up before 8:00 this morning. We had breakfast and took the time to check our E-mails and morning blogs but we were on our way to the trailer shortly after 8:30 this morning. 
Kathy heading in to Subway.
Since our plan was to get the closet completed today we chose to stop at Subway to pick up our lunch to go. We split a twelve inch sub but Kathy didn’t put the Hot Peppers, Jalapenos and Frank’s Hot Sauce on her side like I did. 
The water surrounded the trailer.
We arrived at the trailer before 9:00 and even though there had been a rain forecasted for yesterday we hadn’t seen any while we were at the trailer but that didn’t mean it didn’t rain. The trailer was completely surrounded by its own shallow lake of standing water. That would make Kathy’s job of keeping the trailer clean an endless chore for the day even though I was continually taking my sandals off at the door. With the sky still looking threatening I chose to spend the next hour to finish cutting the last of the materials that I’d need to finish my project. 
The rebuilt and retrimmed closet nook again.
I’d finished adding the last of the bracing inside the closet by 11:30 and seemed to be feeling disoriented. Kathy suggested having lunch early and surprisingly that seemed to refocus the both of us. After lunch Kathy helped me outside to trim the assembly so it would fit the opening perfectly. Once the closet nook was installed I was able to use the reclaimed trim making it a neat finish. 
Reistalling the shelf but adding bracing on the rear of the panel.
Part of the reason for the closet to continually fall apart was an original design in the factory that lacked solid structure so if you coupled that to poor road conditions you ended up with the mess we did. When I had added the shelving unit for Kathy I presumed that I was putting screws into a panel that had backing. Boy was I wrong! The screws I had installed had missed any bracing and when we were bouncing down the road they had simply pulled completely free ripping through the paneling. Today I removed our clothing drawers and added bracing on the back side of the panel. Kathy had tried to help me but her short arms made it difficult. Because of the tight fit of all the parts I had to manually drive the screws in using a Stubby Screwdriver and I could only grip it with my fingertips. 
Looking through the drawer openings
You can see 3 bracing strips on the wall panel.
Those  plus another strip will make the shelf solid.
By 4:30 Kathy was able to start reloading the closet and since we moved the shelf closer to the door it gave her more space to store things behind it. There are still a couple of other things to repair plus I didn’t have the strength to put all my tools away today because of the pain in my hands so I’ll probably do that tomorrow. 
The shelf was moved 1.5 inches forward
plus it was shaved 3.3 inches in depth
now giving 10 inches of storage behind.
For supper we used a coupon at A&W which included fries but was cheaper than eating at Taco Bell. We are both still feeling drained and when I looked at the Weather Network it said the temp had only reached 82 F (28 C) but felt more like 95 F (35 C) through most of the afternoon. Things are looking much better for our departure on Thursday. 
Only half the water disappeared today and its storming tonight.
As we get ready to post our blog for the evening the wind is pelting the rain against the window as the thunder and lightning are off in the distance. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.


Krackers

You Might Be a Redneck If

Your mother doesn't put on shoes to go grocery shopping.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a good job reinforcing that shelf, hope it stays put on your travels.

    Boy, we sure could use some of that rain here at the campground, our ground is like concrete right now.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you can't just enjoy some of this wonderful weather, no rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a ton...you just reminded me that I haven't cleaned out the 5er since we arrived in Ohio. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame that manufacturers don't do a good job building quality throughout their products. Every manufacturer cuts corners somewhere. Thank goodness you have the talent and ability to make it right. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you know where you will be toward end of June? we are hoping to be in Ontario sometime then

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you know where you will be toward end of June? we are hoping to be in Ontario sometime then

    ReplyDelete