It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

My Big Mouth.

 

Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Since I wasn’t certain how long it would take to get to my new Job in the morning I simply left the Alarm set as if I was going to the Gym. The big difference was that I had breakfast before heading out the door and I had much further to travel.

I walked in the Plant at Windsor Feedscrews before 6:00. When Mile (sounds like Mil-ee) the Owner spotted me he commented that I was early. I responded that I preferred being early. He suggested that I could start working early if I wanted. After getting a locker I just looked around waiting for the rest of the crew to start.

Even though I was told I would be learning how to run the Plasma Welding System right now they needed some repairs done. The first job took nearly Three Hours and was all Stick Welding. I smiled to myself knowing that’s my favourite method of welding for those kinds of repairs. One of the crew was watching over my work and it wasn’t until it was finished I found out from others he was the Lead Welder.
I was then assigned another repair that I needed to use the
TIG Welding process. My second favourite welding method. Just before I started that Vinny the Engineer pointed to a pile of Feedscrews that suddenly needed repairs. Apparently not all their Machinist pay close attention to their jobs.

I’d only gotten half way when the Owner and Lead Welder brought me to look at a Feedscrew that was causing problems for the Machinist. It had been rewelded Three Times on the Plasma Welder and the spot where a bearing would sit kept cracking. Even though I haven’t been trained on the Plasma System the Lead Welder insisted I would use it to make the repairs. I simple looked at the Owner and said it would keep cracking if they kept using the Plasma. The only way to fix it would be to totally weld it using the Stick Machine. I was asked to stay over to do it and I accepted. I called Kathy to let her know I’d be late.

The Lead Welder just shook his head as he left for the day while Mile the Owner stayed behind. He was happy with the finished Job knowing there would be no cracks and helped me sweep up. My coveralls were soaking wet. It was 7:47 when I punched out for the day. When I got in the Truck I could smell the Metal Oxide on my face. It’s a good thing I’m still wearing a Mask at work so I’m not breathing that in.

I picked up a couple of Whoppers from Burger King on the way home for our supper. At the Apartment after I described my day Kathy suggested the Lead Welder probably thinks I’m after his Job. Been There, Done That on a much larger scale and I don’t want his job.

The Weather Network showed our Humidex felt like 93 F (34 C) around 6:00 this afternoon and I was feeling it.

I’m hoping there’s not too many of those kinds of days again but I’m enjoying being a Welder again.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

If procrastination was an Olympic sport, I’d compete in it. Later.

3 comments:

  1. Hubby Leonard was a welder. He's been wanting a better welding machine. Finally got one last week. He's a happy man. Even though he currently has NO USE for it, if it makes him happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good first day at the job. And you're already figuring out the lay of the land around there.....I suspect you can handle it. After your last job (not to mention years along the way), you can probably handle whatever turns up....

    ReplyDelete