It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Learning Curve and Problem Solving.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

I had only begun to drink my morning Coffee when Mile the Owner told me to hang around with Alec and learn how to run the Plasma Arc Welding Machine. I have less then a Month to learn this before he goes on Vacation. Since Alec does not start until 8:00 I busied myself reading the Download he had made for me. Having spent most of the last Two Nights staring at the ceiling I had to read and walk around the machine just to stay awake. At least that allowed me the chance to really look at exactly what the Download was referring to.

Alec at the age of Thirty-Seven does not drive or own a vehicle but is well trained in the use of the Plasma Arc Welder. Since he depends on Public Transit to get to and from work Mile has agreed to his hours being different then the rest of us.

It didn’t take long and he was showing me how to locate a Feedscrew on this giant automated version of a Spit. Using your imagination that is what it does to a Metal Part so it can be welded to a specific hardness before any machining takes place. This Feedscrew had already been machined and now heeded a Surface Hardening Compound added where the Bearing would ride.

If I thought reading that Download was putting me to sleep I kept standing and asking questions as we looked through a Welding Shield bigger then most Motorcycle Fairings. We had talked about the problems the Machinist have been having with Undercut and discussed possible solutions. Between my 50+ Years of experience as a welder and Alec’s Five Years of operating this Machine the few adjustments we made seemed to be working and the finish was amazing even in that rough state.

One of the things about building the Bearing Areas is that the Feedscrew has to be maintained above 600 F (316 C) to avoid cracking. That meant every Two Rotations the welding temporarily stopped so it could be reheated. That added up to an Hour between each cycling.

When it came time for lunch I spoke with Kathy on her New Cell Phone. She is still in a learning curve with it but bit by bit is getting there. She’s been busy with a little project of her own in Kitchen. Not knowing how late it would take on the Feedscrew I told her I might be late.

While I was asking more questions Gabriel came over saying there were repairs needed so one Feedscrew could ship and another finished machining. It was nearly 4:00 by the time I punched out.

We had to deal with a few issues by phone as soon as I got home so our Planned dinner turned into a Store Bought Thin Crust Medium Hawaiian Pizza that I added some Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.

The Weather Network later showed our Humidex felt like 86 F (30 C) this afternoon. The Showers that had been forecasted never materialized but according to the Radar there is a BIGGIE that could find us in the middle of the night.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

Words of Inspiration

As long as I live I will have control over my being.

Artemisia Gentileschi, seventeenth-century Italian Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment