It's about time.

Many of you that can relate to this. Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Finally Fixed Right.

Our Location today is Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada.

Being that it was a pretravel day Kathy finally fell asleep around 1:30 this morning. I was tired enough from not sleeping the night before that I fell right to sleep. Unfortunately when the alarm went off at 6:00 this morning we both felt like pulling the covers over our heads and going back to sleep. 

Since we didn’t know if we were going to be home tonight I had to pack up our CPAP machines and computers to bring along. While I did that Kathy busied herself making us a light breakfast. We had hoped to be out the door by 6:30 but it was nearer 6:50 before we were on the road. 

It took little time to hook up to the trailer and to be pulling out of the storage yard by 7:05. Traffic was light and we sailed through the construction on the Expressway without any delays. From the time we hit Huron Line and crossed the Ambassador Bridge was less than ten minutes but that is where everything changed. 

Anyone that has ever crossed the Ambassador Bridge knows that there is only one Auto/RV/Bus lane on the US side. There were four charter busses ahead of us plus cars that would squeeze in ahead of the buses. The US immigration would have everyone disembark and scan their Passports from each of these buses before clearing them through. At least two of the buses were students on an end of the school year field trip. The third bus had students accompanied by their parents. By the time we cleared customs we had been in line for two hours and were already late for our appointment at General RV. 
We had a bit of stop and go traffic while we were on the Lodge Freeway but once we were on I-75 northbound it was clear sailing. Our next roadblock came pulling into the General RV yard as it seemed everybody decided to bring their RVs in for service today. By the time we finished filling in the work-order with the service rep it was past 10:30. Since this was insurance work that had not been properly fixed and I had complained to Bill Brown the Owner of that location. As soon as Bill saw us he helped to fast track the repairs. 

Kathy and I were feeling tired and hungry so we headed out to Dave and Amy’s diner a small Mom and Pop place that is known for good quality food at reasonable prices. We both had a second breakfast that filled us up until supper time.  

We needed to waste some time so we stopped in to the nearby Walmart to get some walking in. For the last few weeks we have been looking around for gift ideas but only managed to get one little wee thing and then we’d start drawing blanks. Well with the change of merchandise on the shelves today we started not only getting ideas but actually making purchases. We even stopped at a few other stores who have sadly closed their Canadian outlets but helped to tick things off our shopping list. With only 203 days left before Christmas we really started our shopping today. 

We headed back to General RV and saw that there was a small crew working on our trailer. We sat in the customer lounge reading and occasionally looking at the television. Since the activity had died down around the trailer we went and checked to see touchups in the drying stages. Figuring that with our luck we’d be stuck somewhere in a traffic jam we decided to head out for supper. 

Wanting something different we went to Bob Evans where again we kept our cost low by having the three course Steak dinner for twelve dollars each. It was delicious and even with the desert we were satisfied without being stuffed. 

We just got back to General RV and Sid the service manager came to ask us to inspect the work while he got the paper work done. Back in December it was freezing, we were tired and the trailer had been closed before we could inspect it so we just figured it was done. Today the temperature was perfect and we could open the trailer slides to check things out. Once we were happy with the work even Bill Brown the manager double checked to be certain it was done right. 

Strangely the Garmin GPS didn’t give us any problems guiding us back to the Ambassador Bridge and the traffic never slowed below speed limit. I topped off the diesel taking advantage of the lower prices at the Duty Free before crossing the border. 

We ended our day the same way we started it in a lineup that took nearly an hour before making it across the bridge and through the Canadian customs. After driving only 120 miles for the day it still felt good when we got back to the apartment tonight. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.


The World's Great Proverbs

Enough is as good as a feast.


  1. A full day of fighting traffic and lines for 120 miles, doesn't sound like all that much fun. Hope they finally got it fixed right this time.

  2. It may have been a long day but a successful one. YEA!