It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Change Of Plans and Tech Support Needed.

Our Location today is at Windsor, Ontario.
Click on the pictures to Enlarge

With the overnight low dropping to 55 F (13 C) we were both curious why suddenly at 4:00 it felt like the temperature skyrocket before getting comfortable again by 5:00. When we got up at 8:00 we really didn’t feel very well rested.
We did our normal morning routine of breakfast, reading at the Computers and morning chores as well as extra research in preparation for future activities. It seemed all this had Kathy getting ahead of herself and was ready to have lunch by 11:00.
There was the large choice of things we could eat that had her feeling like that. When she opened the Freezer that was overly stocked it started an avalanche of frozen food choices. As a way to make it feel more balanced we shared a grilled Ham Steak along with a few Perogies to go with an ear of Corn that we microwaved. By microwaving Corn with its husk still on we find it retains its taste, crispness and is much easier to clean after it’s cooked.

When finished eating we cleaned up the Dishes and Kitchen before going back to the Computers. There was a slight breeze coming through the Balcony Door and Bedroom Window so the 82 F (28 C) temperature was tolerable.

Once my lunch finally settled I took the time to exercise with the Weights. By 4:00 I was just closing up when Kathy decided she would check what was on Television. We had watched the 11 o’clock Local News last night before going to bed and there was no problems doing so. When we went to turn on the Cable Receiver it would not turn on. I checked the connections even put new Batteries in the Remote with negative results.

The next step was to call our Cable Provider. What I got was the Automated Merry-Go-Round before being put on hold for the next available representative. I checked the Web-site and found that the local outlet was only open until 6:00 and since it was over a Half Hour that I’d been on hold I hung up. Within Five Minutes I had packed up the Receiver, Remote and Power Cord.
By 4:40 we were on our way to the Devonshire Mall where Cogeco Cable is located. Kathy came with me for the ride but did end up coming in. A popular restaurant that has been in the Mall over Twenty Years had an apology note on the windows that they were unable to survive the Coronavirus Shutdown.

Inside the Mall there were a few people walking in the distance and the Floors were marked with directional Arrows along with Social Distancing reminders.

At the Cogeco Outlet we followed a sign mark “Enter Here” then Arrows and Markings on the floor to reach the lone Clerk. When I explained the problem I was instructed to place the Unit in a nearby Bin while putting the Remote and Power Cord in another. She did not even touch it even though she was wearing Gloves and a Mask while standing behind a Plexiglass Shield. Within Minutes she had placed a replacement Unit on another counter before going back behind the Shield. With more questions her answer was to give us Pamphlet with a Phone Number.

It was past 5:30 when we stopped at Guardian Storage to find our Mailbox empty.
Our early lunch had settled and we were feeling hungry. Using a Coupon we again stopped at Taco Bell where we both ate for $12.00. The special called for Tacos, Burritos, Fries and Soft Drinks. We sat in the parking lot in the shade to have our meal. As careful as I was the Taco Shell broke spilling half its contents on my pants. That’s why I like Soft Tacos.

It was past 6:00 when we got back to the Apartment. Following the Instructions to set up the Receiver only resulted in getting Advertisements for Pay-Per-View. Back on the phone to Tech Support I was talking to a representative within Three Minutes. He had to reboot the new Unit from his end. He commented that they (the Receivers) normally connect on their own but it took him nearly Twenty Minutes before he had it operating. We watched the 11 o’clock Local News this evening.

I had planned on adding those Border Restrictions this evening but will do it tomorrow. Thank you for following along and feel free to leave a comment.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

You Might Be a Redneck If

You lick your finger before turning this page.


  1. It's always something it seems. Have fun anyway.

  2. So many businesses are closing. I hate to see all those dreams go down the drain.

  3. This virus is hard on businesses, for sure. I have a close friend that has your luck... every that could, does. Its unbelievable.

  4. I can't believe that you had to go to all that trouble to get your receiver operational. It should have bee much easier. At least you got it done and Kathy got in a walk at the mall and you had dinner out.