It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Monday, March 6, 2023

Not What It Was Cracked Up To Be.

 Our Location today is Windsor, Ontario.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

As mentioned during the Weekend we had changes to our above seasonal weather and I would be doing extra hours this week.

When I left for work this morning the weather was almost Springlike so I took it as a good sign. When I spoke to Mile he knew I would basically be tied up for the entire week working on the Ten Inch Feedscrews and today’s was Nineteen Feet long.

A reminder that just preheating the Bearing Area on these Screws takes nearly Two Hours before any welding on the Plasma Transfer Arc can be done. There is also constant reheating it during the process as well in order to maintain that heat. A big problem is each rotation takes Sixteen Minutes that allows the Screw to cool. Due of the time of year, you have to reheat it more often. It was 1:00 in the afternoon when I finally called Kathy to tell her I had just finished the first of three passes and that I would definitely be getting home late.

When you realize everyone including your boss has left for the day, except the Afternoon Crew, it makes you long to join them. I should not have thought that way because I was tried to speed things up. After welding on a Unit for over Eight Hours, heat builds inside the core, so I tried going Two Rotations before reheating it. That was when I spotted a Crack.

I immediately brought out the Grinder and cleaned it back to the base material before adding more heat. I waited an extra rotation before resuming the repair. The Crack filled in nicely and the top pass completely concealed it. I again started to heat the Bearing when I heard the sound of Metal popping. It’s a dull clinking sound. There was another Crack going across the welds I had been applying all day.

When you’ve worked a long shift and are tired, you know when to call it a day. I added more heat before burying it in the Sandbox with a note saying the Bearing was Cracked. It was 5:12 when I punched out.

I always call Kathy when I’m on my way home. So after cleaning Two Inches of Slush off the Truck I was finally on my way.

Kathy made Sweet and Sour Pork with Vegetable Rice for supper along with a dish of Pineapple and a Nanaimo Bar for dessert.

Just as I was writing this post I had an idea on how to repair those Cracks without having to start over.

Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment, unless it personally attacks someone for their opinion, or is Spam.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

You Might Be a Redneck If

You think a woman who is "out of your league" bowls on a different night.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you've had an idea. So now, quit thinking about it and have a good night's sleep after a long day..

    ReplyDelete