It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, September 19, 2014

What Was I Thinking?

Our Location today is Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada.

Last night we both slept like a couple of rocks. The only problem with those rocks was that shortly after 7:00 when the sun came up they were dragging when they had to get out of bed. I had made plans to put in a lengthy day on our project out at our son Kevin’s home in Amherstburg. 
Measuring for another job.
Since there are no preservatives in Kathy’s homemade bread we toasted some up this morning for breakfast. Kathy had also cooked up some rhubarb sauce the other day that we used on the toast rather that jams that are generally full of sugar. 
Our grandsons pet. Roger the rabbit.
We arrived shortly after 9:00 at Kevin’s as he was on his way to help his father-in-law cut down a dead tree in his front yard but said to make ourselves at home. Kathy busied herself vacuuming the boy’s playroom to help Kevin and to keep herself busy. 

It didn’t take me long to start rebuilding the leg that I messed up the other day on the table saw. Taking my time to be certain everything was going to go together properly it was nearly 12:30 by the time we left to go for lunch at McDonalds where again we had a coupon to save on the cost of our meal. 

By 1:00 I was back in the garage using the router to mortise some slots on the top of the bottom and slots on the bottom of the top. By the time Kevin got home at 2:30 I had already piloted the screw holes and was in the process of installing the dowels. I was just about to start the assembly when supper arrived in the form of pizza that we helped to pay for. 
Map frame with final coat of Sedona Red stain.
Because of the distance we travel to Kevin’s the cost of fuel alone makes you want to get as much done each time you travel out there. After supper I returned to start assembling the project but this is where things took a turn in the wrong direction. As I was trying to put the shelves in they didn’t seem to line up correctly. Finally I sat the top in place which helped to find the problem. 

The other day when I messed up the leg because I was rushing I had just finished marking out the shelves that needed to be cut. Somehow I had already cut the two shelves a half inch too narrow and too short. “What was I thinking to make so many mistakes at once?” There was no way of finishing tonight and my back was starting to bother me from standing on the hard floor all day so I cleaned up the garage and restacked the materials until we return. 

We were on our way home by 6:00 with a few things in the truck that I’ll do before we return. We also stopped at Home Depot where we picked up another piece of plywood so I can do the job properly. In all the years of working with metal I never had problems like I’ve had working with this wood project. 

Tomorrow is another day and I’m sure there is more to do than just working all the time. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

What is faster, hot or cold?

Hot. Because you can catch a cold.




2 comments:

  1. It sure sucks when a project doesn't go along that way that it should. As you said, "tomorrow's another day". Hope you have better luck this next time around.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have those days when we don't know if we put our head on straight or not.

    ReplyDelete