It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, November 4, 2016

Held Hostages Before Finally Getting Back On The Road.

Our Location today is Wabash, Indiana, U.S.A. 

After getting up early in the morning all the years we were in the workforce we thought that we wouldn’t have to worry about ever doing that again. Well unfortunately if you are having specialized work done to your RV that way of thinking doesn’t happen. We had an appointment with Wayne Dunker whose place is just outside of Shipshewana at 9:00 this morning. Getting up at 6:30 we’d finished our breakfast and were starting the chore of getting things ready to travel shortly after 7:00. 
The sun trying to burn off the Morning Fog.
Working outside with only the dim lights from the power posts cutting into the inky black darkness. Shutting down the water at the post I managed to take an unwanted shower when the pressure in the hose didn’t bleed off before I was forced to disconnect it. I’d prepped the truck for towing just as Kathy came out with her traveling supplies. It was at the time we started the truck we realized why it was so hard to see. There was a fog so thick you could only make out the nearby RVs but not the ones to the other side of the park.  
Backed up to Wayne's RV Service.
It was past 8:00 when we slowly pulled out of the Shipshewana RV Park heading north through town. Having written down instructions of how to get to Wayne’s home we managed to pass right by the road because those roads are not clearly marked and it was within fifty feet of getting on US-20 which meant we hadn’t even straightened up from coming around the corner. Taking the next road up we lucked out as there were cross roads that finally brought us to his home. 
After backing up near his workshop and opening up the slides we explained again what we wanted done on our pantry cabinet. He suggested I plug the trailer in so Kathy could keep warm by our fireplace. This is the second time we’ve run out of propane in two weeks. We have to remember that these tanks only hold thirty pounds of propane unlike the forty-pounders we had in the Avalanche. 
The doors look the same.
Since he didn’t have some of the hardware he drove to town to get it while Kathy did some reading by the fireplace. I drove to the nearby Propane Company where I managed to get both thirty pound tanks as well as the twenty-pound tank for our Weber filled for less than what it cost back in Ontario. 
But now they open up.
I got the Propane Tanks mounted and was able to watch as Wayne finished mounting the Cabinet Door. The way that Jayco had made the doors of the cabinet open they would hit you in the chest and you couldn’t reach the back of the cabinet. Now the door swings up and we will have no problem getting things from the back. 
The last couple of days when we have closed the kitchen slide on the trailer it seemed to be binding as if only one drive motor was working. I called the Jayco Factory and explained the problem and asked where there was an Authorized Jayco Dealer in the area we could have it checked before we left for parts unknown. 
It was after 1:00 when we arrived at Indiana RV the recommended dealership in Middlebury. We had to let them bring it inside to work on it so while they were doing that Kathy and I went to the Dairy Queen to have a long overdue lunch. It was over six hours since we’d eaten breakfast and we were both feeling run down. We had to tell ourselves to eat slow or we’d have gotten sick instead. 
Back at Indiana RV the trailer was back outside ready to go. The problem had been a faulty control module that makes the drive motors work together instead of causing the slide to bind. That was easy but now we would spend another hour and a half waiting for the Warranty Coverage to be Authorized. We were basically being held hostage just waiting for the person that had told us to go to this dealership to say “Oh, yes that is covered”. 
Our Home for the night.
We didn’t get back on the road until 3:30 as we followed the directions the GPS had us going. We passed through lots of rural country settings and very quaint little towns and villages. We even had to stop for a couple of overly long freight trains.  
Our site for the night.
By 5:30 we looked for a place to spend the night. After getting a few things for a light supper we asked permission and settled in for the night at the Walmart in Wabash, Indiana. It’s still cool enough that we’ve cycled the furnace a couple of times. Tomorrow night we hope to end up in Nashville where we hope the night time temperatures are not dipping so low. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy! 

It’s about time.

The World's Great Proverbs 

There's none so blind as those who will not see.


  1. Travel safe, hope for no more warranty repairs on a new rv, good luck.

  2. Why in the world would it take them an hour and a half to figure that out? Your trailer is brand would think that would be a no-brainier. Glad you are finally off on your adventure. Safe travels.