It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Habits

Our Location today is Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada.

It’s amazing how when you retire and have no immediate plans for a day that you can sleep in and not worry about being in a rush. The question is why can’t I sleep in later? Now I’m not talking of sleeping the day away or even 9:00 in the morning but when I’m tired and keep waking up through the night and can’t sleep past 6:30 this is ridiculous.
I believe it could have a lot to do with old sleep habits. Many of us during our working careers learn to sleep with one eye open as the saying goes. For many years my work schedule was 3:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. seven days a week. At that time in my life it was a necessity to pay the bills and raise a family. I had so little time away from work that I always spent my first two days of vacation sick in bed because my body didn’t know how to just relax.
In later years the shifts would vary and you fought your biological clock to sleep during daylight hours. Today my sleep habits are disrupted by my habits of the past.
Another habit that both Kathy and I have is to shop for Christmas gifts early. Since the big day is only 102 days away some may think that it is way too early even leaving comments of such but in fact it is not. I can recall buying a Christmas gift for Kathy in the middle of January eleven months before. You ask why?
When you find a gift that just calls to you that it is perfect for that special someone you don’t want to take the chance you will see it again closer to the big day. For the last two years Kathy and I have had our Christmas shopping for the children and grandchildren finished by the end of October and everything wrapped by the first week of November.
We get to take our time as we shop because we are under no last minute deadlines and we save money. We have noted over the years that items we buy in October have their prices increased as the holidays approach. Get even closer to the holidays the item will go on sale for more than it was valued at back in October. Sometimes those sales are so successful that when you try to find that special gift you left behind months earlier it is totally sold out.
Because of this habit of slowly buying our gifts early we are left with walking the malls for exercise and watching people frantically scurrying about to find that special something for that special someone for that special day.
We like this habit of ours it is more fun too. Thanks for following along. Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

A man comes into the room and says to his wife,

"I'm going to the pub. Get your coat on."

The wife overjoyed that he has included her in his plans replies,

"Does that mean you are taking me with you, darling?"

The husband replies, "No - I'm turning the heating off."

4 comments:

  1. I call that organized . . . good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we go on vacations, my husband has a hard time sleeping late too. I think it is like you said, years of getting to work by 4:00 AM. Those longterm habits are hard to break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been actively buying Christmas presents for a few months now. Like you say, sometimes an item will call out to you. Best to act on it.
    I too, get up way too early, and sometimes that's even after getting up in the night. It's a little annoying, but such is the way of habits. Even when I think I should set the alarm for some ridiculous early hour, I still wake up before it goes off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleeping late is not an option for me either, probably because we go to bed early and only require 6-7 hours sleep, but do love the early mornings.
    We don't do a lot of Christmas shopping anymore. If we want something we buy it and the same with family members. A couple small gifts for grandchildren wrapped delivered in a couple of weeks, to wait until christmas for them to unwrap.
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete