It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Friday, December 16, 2016

Still Overusing Data, Checking Off Another Project, More Safeties and Wicked Wind.


Our Location today is Quartzsite, Arizona, U.S.A. 

Once again we managed to sleep soundly last night and were both up by 8:00 MST. We had the window blinds all wide open but didn’t have to worry about the sun being in our eyes while we had our breakfast because of the heavy cloud cover. Moving back to the computers where we wanted to finish our morning coffees the first thing that popped up on Kathy’s screen was the message from Verizon that we had less than a Gigabyte of Data left on our plan. No matter what Kathy and I have been doing to cut back on our usage, Disconnecting the Computers from the MiFi when we are not Online and even Shutting the Hotspot Off we still seem to use way too much data.  
After finishing our morning reading instead of heading outside to work on a project we got in the truck and headed into Quartzsite. Our destination was the Dollar General where we planned to purchase a Reusable Verizon Refill Card for our Hotspot. Even though Kathy had said she would wait until we got back to McGregor in the spring to finish her 2017 Christmas Shopping she just couldn’t resist buying a couple of Stocking Stuffers. The Grumpy Clerk that I’d encountered the last time we were there was busy stocking shelves so we had a Hassle-Free time at the Checkout. 
Sky suddenly changed from partly cloudy.
Yesterday while we were in Blythe, California we’d managed to get the majority of our grocery shopping completed. What we didn’t get then we looked for at the Dollar General and finally ended up at the Road Runner Grocery Store. It seems that small towns just don’t carry certain products so in the future we’ll have to make certain we stock up before heading in this direction. 
Had to shorten Antenna Poles.
We were Home shortly after noon so Kathy went to work converting the Leftover Spare Ribs we brought back from the Main Street Eatery last night into Pulled-Pork Burgers. We each had two moderate sized Burgers with no sides for Lunch. 

We hadn’t even finished eating lunch when the trailer started getting hit by hard Southwest Winds gusts. Since we will be able to be Off the Grid once I finish wiring up the Charge Controller Kathy has started looking for places around Arizona that we’ll be able to use our New-Found Freedom other than just in the Quartzsite Area. 
Lunch time wind building.
I headed outside with the intention of first putting the tools that had been loosely placed in the Basement away in their appropriate storage spaces. When I opened the basement, I was attacked by the piece of three inch black ABS pipe that we purchased to store and transport the Mast Pipes for our HD Antenna. Knowing that if I mounted that in its place it would no longer be in my way and the piping would be secure.  
Making measurements.
As soon as I walked around the rear of the trailer I was hit with a gust of wind that sent my hat flying. I was fortunately able to recover it without too much of a chase. With our using the Rear Bumper to store our Sewer Hoses I needed to shorten the ABS Pipe by four inches so the hatches on the Bumper would continue being usable. I then had to shorten each of the Metal Antenna Poles by six inches so they would fit in their new Storage Container. With the end fittings cemented in place it took some doing to fasten the container to the Rear Bumper and the Bicycler Carrier Braces. Under normal conditions that should have taken no more than an hour to complete the entire job but every time I went behind the trailer dust was being blown in my face not only making it hard to see but hard to breathe. 
Our New Mast Holder where it will ride.
 I'll improve the Fastening Brackets when we get back to McGregor.
Through all that I did manage to get most of the tools put away. The others will be needed to finish wiring the electrical modules such as the Disconnect, the Charge Controller, the Charge Controller Remote Monitor and the EMS (Electrical Management System). 
Afternoon Sky.
Thinking I would just start wiring the Charge Controller I removed the Cover Plate. This didn’t look like the Controllers I’ve worked with in the past so I used my favourite rule. “When in doubt read the instructions”. Even experienced Electricians do that so there is no shame in being Safe. 

I went inside the trailer where Kathy was still working between her computer and an Arizona BLM/LTVA book searching for places to be Off the Grid. We know people that have been in this area often enough that they know where they can stay. Since this is our first year in this area during the winter months we are still learning. 
Store Bought Taco Shells but the rest we put together.
I read through the entire Manual only to realize that I should add a couple more Safeties into our System. I quickly called Discount Solar to find out that they would closing for the Weekend in two minutes but they did have a Disconnect Switch and Fuse for me to put between the Charge Controller and the Solar Panels. I’ll get as much of the system wired this Weekend but guess where I’ll be on Monday. 
Nice Homemade Tacos
Kathy was in the mood for some Tacos tonight so while we were shopping this morning she bought the fixings. They tasted great but next time we’ll get the Soft Shells so that they aren’t as messy. The high winds have continued to batter the trailer as I write the blog. Good thing we are not in tents like some in the LTVA. The winds and temperature will be much lower tomorrow but who knows what we will do. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy! 

It’s about time.
Krackers 

Words of Inspiration 

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: All of them make me laugh. 

W.H. Auden, Anglo-American Writer

4 comments:

  1. Your endeavours seem to be coming together Rick, we all need to find the things that work for us and that includes new boon docking sites! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure on one has stolen you password to the WIFI. It can be done very easily with a program found on the Internet. That happened to us once. Try changing your password for the MIFI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started using this soft whole-wheat tacos I'm not always big on whole wheat but I do like those I hope you quit working soon and go and explore and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so windy here in Las Cruces, so I'm glad it wasn't a "driving" day. Did you save me a taco? ;-)

    ReplyDelete